Akademie der Künste, Pariser Platz
The Akademie der Künste in Berlin is an international community of artists active in the academy’s six sections: visual arts, architecture, music, literature, performing arts, and film and media arts. Founded in 1696 and located at Pariser Platz for over two centuries, its building was badly damaged during World War II. With the postwar division of Berlin, separate academies were established in the East and West but eventually reunited after the fall of the Berlin Wall. Built in 1960, the western location on Hanseatenweg continued to host exhibitions and discursive programs. In 2005, the Akademie der Künste inaugurated a new glass building on Pariser Platz—the ruins of the original structure served as an exhibition site for the 1st Berlin Biennale in 1998. While several editions of the Berlin Biennale have taken place at one of the two locations, the current edition makes use of both for the very first time.
Akademie der Künste
Pariser Platz 4, 10117 Berlin
Wed–Mon 11 am–7 pm, Tue closed